Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Haircut

It all started innocent enough.

We had finished breakfast and I popped on a PBS Kids show from the Roku (love that little gadget) and I was ready to enjoy some quality time with Daniel Tiger and my kids.

That is, until I noticed Sawyer’s blonde hair spilling over his ears and down his neck. How long has his hair looked like? I thought. 



That’s when I pulled out the spray bottle and scissors.  

This can’t be too hard. I’ve trimmed my bangs before (unsuccessfully I might add, but of course I didn’t remember that part of the story right then,) and I’ve watched a youtube video before I cut Avery’s. This should be no problem.

Well, I was right. It wasn’t a problem. It was problemS. As in plural. Let me lay it out for you.  

First problem, I have had absolutely 0 training in cutting hair. But I’m a fairly intelligent person. If I could really do damage with these scissors they would have asked to see some kind of “hair cutting license” when I purchased them.

Second problem, the spray bottle wouldn’t work. No worries! I’ll just dump water into my hands and rub that on his hair. Close enough, right?

Third problem, our TV is on our counter to free up more room in the family room. Meaning, our kids have to tilt their heads up to watch TV. Easy Peasy! I’ll just cut most Sawyer's hair while he is looking up and holding still, and then I'll even it out when Sawyer looks down to read his book.



Well, it goes without saying (but I am saying it anyway,) this was an absolute train wreck of an idea.

Within 10 seconds, my son went from being a bit scruffy to having an A-line.



Or, to be more accurate, a zigzag Aline.



Bah!!! Can you believe that?

I thought about trying to smooth it out, but clearly it was time for me to put the scissors down and walk away. 


So, we have been wearing lots of hats lately.


Good thing he is only one years old and doesn't know how to check out the back of his head in a mirror... 



Once he can I might be kicked off his favorite people list...

4 comments:

  1. Well. That is hilarious. You were brave to try scissors, I've only ever done clippers. Surely next time will be a breeze... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing. out. loud. You are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lindsay, you aren't the only ambitious one!! I did that same thing to the back of Seth's hair!!! Our poor boys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I started cutting Jameson's hair when we got married but only used clippers. It wasn't until we moved to Georgia that we've started experimenting with scissors. Best thing I ever did was ask the hairstylist doing my hair about cutting my husband's hair. He was super nice and gave me some great tips :)

    ReplyDelete