Thursday, September 29, 2011

Grateful

This isn't my usual type of post. Really, I view the purpose of this blog as a means to communicate with family and friends across the country, as somewhat of a journal of the happenings in my family, and as a creative outlet for me. It's simply a way to entertain myself and, hopefully, a few of you that follow it.

So, with that said, here's a different peak into my life than what you usually get. I don't know if any one else can relate with this, but yesterday and today I have felt entirely overwhelmed with gratitude for life. It has been a feeling that has been at the forefront my thoughts and I have been touched every time I have stopped and pondered on it.

What a privilege it is to be alive and be able to participate in whatever we choose. Every day we have endless possibilities to what will occupy our time. Each of us have different responsibilities that will influence what we are likely to do, but even with these responsibilities we still get to decide whether we will fulfill them or not. The phrase "you are the captain of your soul" rings truer to me now than it ever has before.

It is easy to feel pigeon hole, as if you are simply fulfilling a routine that has been thrust on you. It could be the monotonous 8-5 schedule, the routine cares of a child, the chronic stresses of finances, or the habitual state of waiting for...something to come. That thing could be completion of education, the ability to purchase a long sought after item, an upcoming vacation or holiday, the arrival of a new family member, or the reaching of a lifelong goal.

Whatever it is that fills your time and consumes your thoughts, I believe there can be aspects of joy in it. Yes, it is true that once you become accustomed to anticipating for life to happen, it is then all the easier to become dissatisfied. Dissatisfied that you have not accomplished as much as another, that you are not where you thought you should be at this point, and therefore you are not as meaningful to the world as you had originally planned on being.

That is when you need to commandeer your life. Sometimes that translates to physical actions, but more often it is a shift in your perception that needs to occur. That internal change allows you to see beauty in the mundane, love those around you deeper, cherish your victories more, find fulfillment in daily challenges, and refrain from passing judgements or comparing with others.

And with all that written, let me just reiterate that life is incredible. I am simply in love with what has and is happening in my life. I lose my perspective of finding bliss at times, but thankfully I can make resolve to be different anytime I want.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. I can always use a positive reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put. It truly is amazing when we stop to think of all the things we have to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete