Monday, October 22, 2012

Miracle

I, like most people, am not awesome at noticing all the little miracles that happen in life. Sure it's easy to recognize blessings when you have a life altering event (which I must say, he IS a a pretty cute miracle.)


But the daily blessings...those ones are harder for me to see. So that's why I think this little story is pretty neat.

Sawyer was born on a Monday and Kyle returned back to classes and work on Wednesday. Like any other morning, he jumped into our '99 Camry and turned the ignition. Unlike any other morning, the car would not start.

Annoying, right? Not only had we just had a baby and Kyle had to get back to work right away, but now our car flaked on us. At least, at first glance it seemed that way, but the timing for this mini crisis was perfect.

Blessing #1 Our battery didn't die 2 days earlier when I went into labor and needed to get to the hospital immediately. My mom was in town so we could have taken her car...except that it is a stick and Kyle doesn't know how to drive a manual. I do, but with my contractions coming every 2-4 minutes, I think my 10 years of experience would have been pretty useless. Thank goodness our battery made it through that drive!

Blessing #2 Our battery wasn't dead the next time we started our car either, which was when we were leaving the hospital. If it had Kyle, Sawyer, and I would have had to wait in the parking garage until my Mom could pack up Avery and drive to meet us. (We were already discharged so we couldn't have gone back to our room.) This wouldn't have been the end of the world, but all three of us were very ready for naps and I'm glad that they weren't delayed.

Blessing #3 Our battery DID die the next time our car started. Kyle and I are a one car family, so getting our car jumped means involving other people. Add on top of it that Kyle leaves before 8 to get to school and you have a pretty tricky situation. Fortunately, my Mom was staying with us and could jump our car with hers (plus she had cables. I'm pretty sure we owned cables at one point, but that morning we, apparently, didn't. Really glad my Mom had some!) It was the perfect situation.

Blessing #4 Kyle and I ran to Walmart that night to get a new battery and we each purchased sunglasses as well. You wouldn't think this was a big deal, but Avery had broken mine the week before and Kyle is picky about his sunglasses (as in he hasn't owned any since I've met him) Yea!


"As I have reviewed the past ... I have made some discoveries. One is that countless experiences I have had were not necessarily those one would consider extraordinary. In fact, at the time they transpired, they often seemed unremarkable and even ordinary. And yet, in retrospect, they enriched and blessed lives." -President Thomas S. Monson

2 comments:

  1. Way to see the positives! And your new shades are pretty sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are two ways to live your life: one as if everything is a miracle and other as if nothing is." -Albert Einstein

    Way to look on the bright side, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete