Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sleep Deprivation

As hinted earlier, life has been a bit hairy over here. I usually keep the less glamorous details to myself because who really wants to hear about how tired I am or how loud my babies can cry? But allow me to break tradition and share some of little tid bits to set the stage for a funny story.

For the last month Sawyer, on average, wakes up 3 times a night (last night it was 6 times.) Although this isn't my favorite, it actually is an improvement from Sawyer's 2 week refusal to sleep more than 30 minutes. To be honest, more hours of the day were spent with him crying than not. And listening to a crying baby will drain your energy (and intelligence...and good will towards men...) faster than anything else I know.

At the peak of sleep deprivation, I came down with mastitis (if you don't know what that is, count yourself blessed.) I recovered just in time to catch a stomach bug with Kyle and Avery that has left our bellies empty and our laundry basket full for the last week. Truly, I've NEVER been this exhausted in my life!

Okay, so here is where the story gets good...

There I was, laying in bed, half asleep at 11 o'clock on Thursday. Right before I was about to drift off into a slumberous bliss, I noticed a noise. I laid perfectly still, trying to place the sound. But no matter how hard I tried to recognize it, my sluggish brain was coming up with nothing.

That's when I nudged Kyle.

Me: "Kyle, wake up."
Kyle rolls over: "Hmmmmmmmmmm?"
Me: "No, wait, don't go back to sleep. I think I hear something."
Kyle: "Oh."
*Pause*

As you can tell, we don't move too quickly late at night.

Me: "Kyle, really, I hear something in our house."
Kyle: "Okay, what does it sound like."

*Another pause*

Me: "Well...it is a really rhythmic noise...kind of like marbles being rolled around in a bucket...I think it was coming from downstairs"

*Both of us stay silent for a minute listening*

Kyle: "I don't hear anything."
Me: "I guess I don't hear it now either."
*Another pause, both of us becoming a bit more alert*

Me: [Giggle] "Wait...I think I just figured out what it was...[giggle]...you are going to kill me for this..."
Kyle: "Alright, what?"
Me: "I think the reason we aren't hearing it anymore is because...well...because...I think it was your snoring...."
Kyle busts up laughing. "And that's why we don't hear anything now? Because I'm awake?"
Me: "I swear it was really scary!"

And that, ladies and gentelmen, is what I've been reduced down to. A woman that is so crazed by lack of sleep that she wakes her husband up to let him know his snoring sounds like marbles.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, darling, you must feel so dead. That Sawyer needs to sleep more! I just got mastitis too and I can't imagine having to function with all the rest of that stuff on top. Can any family members come down and help?

    ReplyDelete