Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Memories

Not that life is now all about Avery. Maybe 90% of it is, but there is still other things we do too.

Like packing and unpacking! At the beginning of August we moved to Indiana.


And let me tell you, it’s a whole lot more exciting to live in Indiana than to actually move there, just ask Avery! But really, who enjoys packing

 

and trying to crunch numbers of what’s the cheapest way to do move and realize that even the cheapest way isn’t cheap? Not us! But, we bit the bullet and packed up all our gear!
All our possessions into the back of this trailer.
It's humbling to know all you own fits in a 5' x 9' space.
Kyle thought this looked cool. I thought it looked like a nod to "The Grinch who Stole Christmas." ;)

While in Provo we tried to keep any clutter to a minimum since we knew our stay there would be so temporary. We’d lived in the apartment for a year and half and most of the furniture we owned was left to us by the previous tenants. As mentioned in a previous post, why else would we have allowed family, friends. and ourselves to sit on these atrocious things?

But this blog is dedicated to memories, particularly those Kyle and I have in a memory box we came across while we were cleaning our old house.

Let me take you on a stroll down memory lane. When Kyle proposed he did so at the racquetball court.

 

I know, sounds weird, but it was perfect since our whole relationship sprang from playing racquetball. He had it decorated with snowflakes to look like the perfect winter snowfall.





 He did this to fulfill a girlish fantasy of mine that I’ve had since high school. What a trooper.


Anyhow, at the center of the court was a box full of various memories we’d made while we dated. Granted, we dated for less than 4 months when he proposed so the box was less than full (but since I’m an optimist I will say it was half full vs. half empty).

Here are a few from left to right, going top to bottom.

Lagoon Pamphlet: A fun summer trip with a great roommate, Mandy, and a random person from my ward. Truly, I had never seen Kyle more excited than he was when we entered the amusement park.

Oquirrh Mountain Temple Pamphlet: We attended this temple the last day it was open to the public together. It is so beautiful! It is also the temple we got married in.


MOA Pamphlet: I don’t think I can count on my hands how many times we have gone to this museum. It’s a great date for 2 poor BYU students who, apparently, never took pictures there.

Denver Museum Print Out Sheet: Two weeks after we started dating we drove to Colorado to visit Kyle’s family.

I met grandparents, I met aunts, I met uncles, I met cousins, and that was all before getting to Kyle’s house to meet his immediate family. Fortunately they were all wonderful and Kyle and I had a great vacation. We spent a good part of a day at the Denver Museum.

Harry Potter 6 Ticket Stub: our first official date. Who wouldn’t want to marry someone who takes you to Tucanos and then the midnight showing of Harry Potter 6. Never mind I worked the next day at 6 AM and finished a 12 hour shift off of 1.5 hours of sleep. :)

Blue Bandana: Kyle and I went on a hike with roommate Mandy and another boy from my ward to Stewart Falls. We were the Blue Barracudas and they were the Red Jaguars. Sound familiar to anyone else who was born in the 80’s?
Soap Sculptures: Originally an Irish Spring bar of soap transformed into an abstract piece of art. Kyle said at the beginning of our date that we were to make something abstract, and then halfway through carving he declared we had to turn it into an animal. How else would you get a disproportionate sea horse and a funky elephant?

Milk Lid Ties: Kyle and I drink milk like people breathe air. Really, that's about all to say about this memory. Oh, Kyle did transition from 2% to skim while we were dating. What a good boy!
Clay Sculptures: One time Kyle taught me how to sculpt. They look kind of scary since we only knew how to make heads and they aren’t attached to bodies. Plus they have no hair. Probably why Kyle ended up making an orc (scary) and me a basketball player (no hair.)


Skittles and Tic Tacs: Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully it was a good memory since I have no clue why they are in there.

Paint Swatches of Color: Possible colors that we thought looked good together for a wedding in the spring…this didn’t end up happening since we got married in winter and had black, blue, and silver for colors.

Plastic spoons: Growing up when I went to Pennock reunions we would have “pint parties.” Everyone would get a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, sit around a large table, and pass the pints around while keeping your spoon. It was a delectable experience! I told Kyle about this so we decided to hold our own pint party. We didn’t have any silverware with us, so we ended up buying plastic spoons.


And with all that said, let me close.

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose." ~From the television show The Wonder Years

3 comments:

  1. Love it, Linds! All I have to say is....

    LEGENDS OF THE HIDDEN TEMPLE!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the memories! I just drove through Indiana for the 1st time when we moved to New York City. It is a beautiful place, at least during the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, loved this memory lane trip. I'm super impressed with the soap sculptures, I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete