Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hoosiers Outrun Cancer

A few weeks ago Sawyer and Avery embarked on their first race.

b 004

Well, technically it was a mile walk they did with Kyle, but they got shirts and bib numbers. Pretty sure those are the only two qualifications for a race.

b 007


Well that and the free food after the race too. Can't forget about that!

b 076

b 080

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The race was called "Hoosiers Outrun Cancer" and all the proceeds went to cancer research, which having previously worked on an oncology floor warmed my little RN heart. They had everyone who had/was battling cancer let off balloons at the start of the festivities.

b 033

b 037

It was great Avery clapped to the music,

b 026

b 025

Sawyer stole my wallet and crawled on more asphalt than a one year old should be allowed to,

b 042

b 041

I was tired before I even began running,

b 052

and Kyle was excited to take on the kiddos by himself.

b 006

I ran my first 5k race since high school cross country.

b 019

It was incredible to be in this race environment with people running in memory of family,

b 065

or running for friends who were currently in the fight,


b 072

or people running for a brighter future for the upcoming generation.

b 062

I ran this race for a childhood friend's mom that passed away from breast cancer and my Grandpa who has battled three different types of cancer. I know, it's a bit sappy of me, but I have a love for running that goes clear down to my bones. I find something so therapeutic, meaningful, raw, spiritual, and beautiful about it. And anytime I can couple this passion with a cause, I'm all over it.

1 comment: